Toon-Con 2020 Cosplay Contest
Sunday, October 18th, 2020 | Panel Room A| 5:00 PM
Note that the rules on this page are subject to change. Be advised that signing up for any cosplay contest is an affirmation that you agree to adhere to the rules presented on the Toon-Con website as well as any decisions made by staff prior to, or during, Toon-Con.
All cosplay events/panels have the potential to be photographed/filmed/recorded in some fashion. These recordings may be used in future galleries or promotions. Signing up for, and/or attending, any cosplay event is done with the understanding that recording could occur at any time and permission is tacitly given for the participant’s likeness to be used. Cosplay Contest participants will be asked to sign a Cosplayer Release Form (or a guardian sign if contestant is under 18) to ensure that these rules are understood and agreed upon.
Toon-Con will not have a pre-judging session. The categories will be determined by our staff and judges based on the cosplays we see signing up!
If you’re in cosplay, we will find you! A Toon-Con staff member will approach you with a clipboard for sign up. Not approached? Come to the panel room at 4:45pm on Saturday to sign up!
Cosplay Contest Judges TBD
Cosplay Contest Prizes: TBD
General Rules for the Cosplay Competition
- You must be a registered Toon-Con attendee in order to compete. Each member of your group must have a badge, pass, or other form of attendee membership.
- If you’re in cosplay, we will find you! A Toon-Con staff member will approach you with a clipboard for sign up. Not approached? Come to Panel Room A at 4:45pm to sign up!
- Contestants under the age of 18 need a parent or legal guardian present at the cosplay competition to sign a waiver in order for that contestant compete in the cosplay contest.
- All costumes must cover “swimsuit areas” – no nudity. Body-paint costumes are not eligible for craftsmanship.
- The contest is open to characters from Cartoons, Comic Books, Movies, Anime, and general pop culture. Inspired characters or those of your own creation are welcome!
- Toon-Con adheres to the “PG‐13 rule” when it comes to language and hand gestures during the contest. Violation of this rule may cause you to be disqualified from the competition.
- Contestants are not allowed to throw anything at the audience, nor use projectiles or use anything on stage that will leave a mess. This includes (but is not limited to) liquids, glitter and confetti. If you have a question about something you want to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help.
- No pyrotechnics, fire, explosive devices, live animals or similar special effects can be used during the competition; this includes smoke/smog machines and flash powder. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and be asked to leave the convention area depending on the severity of the incursion. All prop weapons must conform to the Toon-Con’s prop policies, including being checked.
- Children (18 and younger) are welcome to join the competition, but they will need a parent or guardian present to sign the release form.
- Each contestant may only enter one costume into the competition and can be in only one category.
- Toon-Con is unable to do lighting cues or effects.
Keep in mind that the cosplay contest is a family-friendly event. All material must be PG-13. If you’re unsure if something is acceptable, talk to the Toon-Con staff.